Camp: Day 1 of Week 1

28 Jun

(This was meant to be posted yesterday…I found out it wasn’t so here it is now instead.  Pretend you are reading this yesterday.)

Hello World!  Today was the first day of camp at MHCA.  I must say, it had a very interesting start to the whole day.

This morning I had to get the passwords for the computer and the internet, then set everything up for my program.  My big worry came when I realized that the internet worked on none of the computers.  I called the guy back up who did the work on the computers to see if he could solve the problem.  Lone behold, God provided and I had internet.  I did not know though, how time-consuming it was to set up for all of this, double log-in on each computer and dumping the internet sites on each.  Sigh…it got done.  The sad part of it all was that I missed the morning assembly in the gym.  Tomorrow I hope to make it.

During the first activity period I was supposed to have a group, except they never showed up to the program.  What a beginning!  I just made sure everything was set up and that I was organized.  Whatever their reasons, I will leave to God and the directors.  For me, I keep moving on and making sure all goes well.

During the snack time, I talked and hung out with the other program leaders (Marianne and Rachel).  It is always good to get to know some of the other staff.  Rachel has been coming here and working here for years. 

My second activity period went well.  They were a little late coming in, but it was the oldest girls that were here.  I knew many of them because they were middle school aged.  My little “stalker” was not there though, maybe she will be coming later in the summer as she told me she would see me here.  In that group I added three websites to my list.  It was good and easy group, although slow-moving on the way out of the room

There was no one for the third activity period for me.  Marianne and just both cleaned up in our rooms a little, talked some, then headed down to help set up lunch.  Lunch was hot dogs and tater tots, they were good.  I didn’t sit with any of the kids, but I really just wanted to get the flow.  We were told if there is no room for us, then don;t add a chair, sit elsewhere or something.  I observed.

For my fourth activity spot, I did have a group in.  During that program session, I added four more sites to my list.  Now I just need to get them all onto the word document…each computer individually.  Such is the way it goes.  They were a good group.  Sarah came in giving a tour to a family who wanted to see the campus and the camp.  Their two boys may come starting next week. 

After cleaning up and closing down shop, I headed over to canteen to make sure that everything was set up for when the kids come to buy their snacks.  There was a blank space of time that there was no one coming as it was not yet time, so I just kind od chilled not sure of if there was something else I should be doing.  Canteen ran smoothly, thank goodness.  When the girls went through and then the boys, we followed up with restocking everything.

Our next task was to head up to the Rec Hall to clean that up.  It was not too bad at all.  There were some icee pop remnants chilling out in places they should not be, it was dirty with stuff prior to camp start, dust and web everywhere, and we had a vacuum that may have spit out just as much if not more that it was taking in.  It was grand!  Overall, it did not take long for us to do the job and head back down to the cafeteria for helping with dismissal.  On the way down, we were walking with a group of six-year-old girls.  I saw one help another out on the way down with something and it was so cute!

I was not exactly sure of what we’re supposed to do.  I ended up playing some games with some of the kids, talking to others, and picking up the games and toys left behind by those who had to get up to leave.  We also stood outside once it got down to just a few kids to be picked up.  I think when we come we are supposed to help listen for names and escort the kids out.  I am told it was a little more crazy than usual. 

All in all when I left and popped into the chapel halfway through the rosary, it was a good day.  I won’t hide it, it was hard for me to be in the computer program area of camp and not out with an older group of girls.  Though, there are the benefits of not being tied to a particular group.  It this setting I think I would rather do something program like.  In a resident camp setting like that of which I have done, I would rather be a cabin counselor.  In the end, it was good and I look forward to the rest of the week.

Leave a comment

Posted by on June 28, 2011 in Living Salesian


Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: